Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"The Pack" (1.6)

-This episode is metaphor-tacular. I know, I know. The whole series is an exploration of monster as metaphor and whatnot, but some episodes are a bit less subtle than others. This is one of those episodes.

-I always liked zoo field trips. They were outside and often minimally supervised. And occasionally we got to witness things, such as the zebras mating. Ah, nature.

-Enter mean kids stage right.

-Thank you for that creepy lesson on hyenas, skeevy zookeeper man. We shall keep it in mind.

-Beware the animatronic hyenas for they will possess you with their glowy eyes!

-Dodgeball. Oh, noes! The pack is turning on its weakest member. Teenagers in high school are like animals in the wild. Get it? GET IT?!

-Principal Flutie has a picture of himself on his desk. Facing outwards. What a sad, strange little man. Goodbye, sir. And while we're at it--sayonara, Herbert.

-I forgot Xander tried to rape Buffy, too. I guess he gets a bye because he was possessed. (Warning: I have many feelings about Spike's little foray into the world of sexual assault which I will address at a later date and possibly at great length.)

-Poor Willow. Xander is being a jerk. Boys can be cruel. Perhaps you should look into switching teams. Too soon? All in good time, my little witch. All in good time.

-What is wrong with that woman? Walking alone, or with a tasty baby, at night in Sunnydale is tantamount to a death wish. How has she not been skimmed off the top of gene pool already?

-Hey dude! The dad in the SUV is Mr. Ernst!

-Willow, never let some uber tool, wannabe Masai tribesman in face paint bind your wrists. Just a quick tip from me to you.

-Whatever happened to the "mean kids"? I like to think they ended up in the home. Memories of cannibalism can do that to a person. I mean, one assumes... nevermind.

-The end of this episode is a bit too light-hearted for my taste. "Remember when Xander attacked Buffy, emotionally-eviscerated Willow and ate a live piglet? I guess hyena-possessed boys will be boys!" Oh, all right. I'll let them have their blow off. Besides, Xander does have to remember it all. Poor kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment